Protect free speech & economic activism: Help stop AB 2844!
(Last updated 7-3-16 – Check back for further updates)
CA Assembly bill AB 2844 attacks non-violent efforts to end Israel’s violations of international law and human rights including its occupation, illegal settlements, home demolitions, apartheid laws, and extrajudicial killings. It also attacks our constitutional right to boycott and wastes our taxes.
The CA Senate Appropriations Committee will hear the bill on Monday, August 1, 2016, 10am in Room 4203. Please contact SabeelSacramento@gmail.com if you can attend the hearing and/or help with lobbying.
TAKE ACTION NOW:
► Call or email your CA state Senator and members of the Senate Appropriations Committee – see contact info below. You can simply state your opposition to AB 2844 or use the talking points below.
►Write your local paper’s editorial board (or send a letter to the editor) and ask them to cover AB 2844 – note the high level of opposition, including the Center for Constitutional Rights and the ACLU. For help email SabeelSacramento@gmail.com
► Call the Appropriations Committee office: 916-651-4101.
Contact information for CA State Senators:
►You can find your State Senator member here: http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov
►Sacramentans: For those who live in the Sacramento Area, our State Senator is Richard Pan. Email him at senator.Pan@senate.ca.gov orclick here to email him through his website. You can also call him at (916) 262-2904 or send a fax (916) 914-2179. Tweet: @DrPanMD (See below for Davis and Folsom)
► Members of Senate Appropriations Committee (http://sapro.senate.ca.gov):
- Send one message to the Appropriations Committee by cutting and pasting their emails:
And cc their staffs: firstname.lastname@example.org; Brittany.Petitt@sen.ca.gov; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org;Alexander.Khan@sen.ca.gov
- Call the Appropriations Committee office: 916-651-4101
Sample talking points:
- AB 2844 violates the First Amendment of the Constitution.
- AB 2844 seeks to penalize and punish those who choose not to do business with Israel as a means of opposing the Israeli government’s well-documented abuses. Complaints could even be lodged against companies making economic decisions not to do business with Israel.Such companies could face loss of business or costly legal fees to defend themselves.
- AB 2844 will waste our state tax dollars to have the California Attorney General participate in a witch hunt that could result in costly lawsuits.
- Your state tax dollars should not be squandered to promote and protect the Israeli government while it is engaged in well-documented egregious violations of human rights and international law. California legislators need to be on the right side of history and not be bullied by the Israel lobby to defend Israel’s abuses.
- Boycott, divestment, and sanctions (BDS) are time-honored non-violent tactics that have been used by human rights advocates around the world to help bring about justice, including ending apartheid in South Africa, supporting the civil rights movement in this country, improving working conditions for farm workers and opposing discrimination against the LGBT community.
- AB 2844 seeks to single out Israel as an exception and to equate boycott and divestment of Israel with anti-Jewish discrimination. Taking action to oppose human rights violations of governments, for example Mexico, China, the U.S. does not make one anti-Mexican, anti-Chinese or anti-American.
- Contrary to the claims of AB 2844’s author, Assemblymember Richard Bloom, the tactics of BDS are NOT being used to “attack Jews” or “destroy the state of Israel” – they are being employed by those supporting Palestinian human rights to end Israel’s abuses.
- AB 2844 is an attempt to silence those, including many Jews, Jewish Voice for Peace, and many others, who support using BDS as a tool to end Israel’s occupation and other violations of Palestinian rights.