UPDATE: RT votes one year G4S extension & to continue looking at social justice
On March 28th, after six months of writing and meeting with RT Board and staff, generating substantial organizational and individual support through petition and letters, and attending RT Board meetings, SacRideHuman’s effort made headway!
The Board considered the options of ending the contract or a 1-year or 2-year extension. It finally agreed to a 1-year extension for fiscal year (FY) 2017 and to either go out to bid for FY 2018 or bring security workers in house. The Board also agreed to continue to explore, with community input, screening criteria related to social responsibility /social justice, including respect for human rights.
At least three dozen people attended the meeting in support of ending the G4S contract, set to expire in June at the end of FY 2016. Several speakers raised issues including that the RT staff counsel’s issue paper had referenced a debunked report that attempted to exonerate G4S. A G4S spokes person tried to defend the company with misrepresentations, including falsely denying that G4S is involved in private prisons.
SacRideHuman will continue its work to assure and to help the RT Board see through the commitments it made at the March 28 meeting. Stay tuned!
● G4S, the largest private security company in the world, is complicit in and profiting from violation of human rights and international law around the globe.
● Churches, foundations, colleges and universities have divested from and refused to contract with G4S.
●1000 Black activists, artists and scholars have recently called for join struggle again G4S, because “G4S harms thousands of Palestinian political prisoners illegally held in Israel and hundreds of Black and brown youth held in its privatized juvenile prisons in the US. The corporation profits from incarceration and deportation from the US and Palestine, to the UK, South Africa, and Australia.”
● G4S contributes to environmental destruction through its complicity with Israel’s illegal military occupation and settlements.
More you can do to support this effort:
– Send a personal message to the SacRT Board
– SacRideHuman@gmail.com to find out how you can help
– Learn more at: www.SacRideHuman.org